A selection of my favourite passages from the book
- Maybe all people have that feeling deep down, that your hometown is something you can never really escape, but can never really go home to, either
- everyone here gave her crayons all the time. As though she could draw away her illness, color away the needles and the drugs
- Maybe everyone feels that way about their hometown: the place we’re from never apologizes, never admits that it was wrong about
- You cried so loudly, and it was the first time it had happened to me: the first time I’d felt pain for someone else. I couldn’t stay with someone who had that kind of power over me
- But you’ll have everything that everyone else longs for: Wealth. Freedom. I abandoned you, but at least I abandoned you at the top of the hierarchy of needs.
- So we liked the ferry, both of us, me the way there and you the way back. I loved leaving everything behind, but you loved standing out on deck and watching Helsingborg appear on the horizon
- “You never get your child’s attention back,” your mother once said. “The time when they don’t just listen to you to be nice, that time passes, it’s the first thing to go.”
- My heart fell to the floor and you walked through the door into the kitchen. I couldn’t bring myself to let you come back. A second is always a second; that’s the one definitive value we have on earth. Everyone is always negotiating, all of the time. You’re doing the deal of your life, every day. This was mine.