A magical read, refreshing the spirits. Reminiscent of childhood classics, the age of high fantasy and innocence where the mind knows no bounds, distances are illimitable and within a blink of an eye one can traverse through the plains of cosmos.
A selection of my favorite passages from the book
- one thing I’ve learned is that you don’t have to understand things for them to be.
- Nothing deters a good man from doing what is honorable
- I think that with our human limitations we’re not always able to understand the explanations
- a straight line is not the shortest distance between two points.
- She tried to gasp, but a paper doll can’t gasp
- Oh, no! We can’t stop here! This is a two-dimensional planet and the children can’t manage here!
- We are such stuff as dreams are made on.
- All through the universe it’s being fought, all through the cosmos, and my, but it’s a grand and exciting battle
- And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not
- “Are you supposed to ask questions?” Charles Wallace demanded severely. The boy went white, just as the woman had
- Only a fool is not afraid
- For you, as well as for the rest of all the happy, useful people on this planet, I, in my own strength, am willing to assume all the pain, all the responsibility, all the burdens of thought and decision
- I’ve been trying to explain to you in the simplest possible way that on Camazotz individuals have been done away with. Camazotz is ONE mind. It’s IT. And that’s why everybody’s so happy and efficient
- “We do not know what things look like, as you say,” the beast said. “We know what things are like. It must be a very limiting thing, this seeing.”
- We look not at the things which are what you would call seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporal. But the things which are not seen are eternal
- You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?
- You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you
- Little Megaparsec. Don’t be afraid to be afraid. We will try to have courage for you. That is all we can do.