1. Its kind of boring – The game is exciting around the goals but when 75 percent of the game is spent passing the ball around midfield, I just get bored. Sure baseball can be boring but one hanging curveball and a homerun makes the game exciting. Even if NASCAR is 500 miles of left turns, the elements of horrendous crashes, pit stops, and fan favorites make it bearable.
2. Low Scoring – A 0-0 tie should be the start of a game, but it shouldn’t be how a game ends. Americans want winners, not tie(ers). baseball is incredibly high scoring by comparison. Plus in baseball a game is equally exciting when the score is low and the pitchers are dueling. When a game is tied, there is no sense of urgency in soccer.
3. Americans have other choices – Football, baseball, basketball all at the college and pro levels, golf, NASCAR and that’s just major sports in the United States. With access to those and so many other options soccer is left in the dust. That’s probably a reason why I’ll never hear my son say “What to kick around the ol soccer ball dad?” Because we’ll already be playing catch (with a baseball) or tossing the ol pig skin around. Kids might play soccer for the first years of their life, but then they’ll realize that football basketball and baseball have 10 times the glamour and 50 times the paychecks so 98% of them will switch to the diamond, the hardwood or the gridiron.
4. Lack of stats – Goals and cards. Maybe passing and if your a keeper (goalie), saves. I love knowing a pitcher’s WHIP and ERA and a hitter’s Slugging and OBPS. I love knowing a receiver’s YAC, a running back’s yards after first hit and broken tackles and a Quarterback’s rating. Give me numbers! soccer gives me none.
5. No face of the team – I guess you could say Landon Donovan acts as that, but he’s just not a household name. And since the Best players in US soccer play professionally in Europe so even if Soccer fans wanted to watch American players, they’d rarely if ever get to see them live.
6. When does the season start? Seriously. I have no idea how the US team makes it to the World Cup outside of qualifying matches. Thats about all I got. But then there are other tournaments. Not sure how everything else works. In Football, Baseball, Basketball and everything there are seasons then playoffs then a Champioship. I get that.
7. No Rivalries – USC vs. Notre Dame. Boston Celtics vs LA Lakers. New York Yankees vs Boston RedSox. North Carolina vs. Duke Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears. These are rivalries. At the national level does America have a rivalry? America vs…. England? but thats more of a military history thing. Even at the MLS level there aren’t any real rivalries. But in European soccer, teams have hated rivalries. US soccer just doesn’t have that.
8. Our Best athletes don’t play the game – Imagine LeBron, Michael Vick, Kobe and Devin Hester all played soccer. How great would that be? What if America’s best athletes were on the American World cup team?
For complete article, go to http://mugrack.wordpress.com/2010/06/27/why-americans-will-never-fully-embrace-soccer-if-american-athletes-played-soccer/. Personally I thought of only these points worth citing. 😛